Cowgirls fall, 1-0, to Southlake Carroll in regional semifinal

Junior+forwards+Sarah+King+and+Grace+Vowell+disappointed+after+a+tough+loss+to+SouthLake+with+a+score+of+1+to+0.+The+Cowgirls+had+a+great+season+going+6-3-1+in+district+and+reaching+the+semifinals.+Photo+by+Mark+Slette.+
Junior forwards Sarah King and Grace Vowell disappointed after a tough loss to SouthLake with a score of 1 to 0. The Cowgirls had a great season going 6-3-1 in district and reaching the semifinals. Photo by Mark Slette.
Junior forwards Sarah King and Grace Vowell react to Friday’s 1-0 defeat to Southlake Carroll in the Class 5A Region I semifinals. Coppell finishes the season 13-5-6. Photo by Mark Slette.

By Mark Slette

On a hot and sunny day at Northwest ISD Stadium on Friday afternoon, the Coppell Cowgirls soccer team’s season came to an end with a 1-0 loss against Southlake Carroll in the Class 5A Region I semifinals.

Coming into the game, the Cowgirls (13-5-6) had not lost to the Lady Dragons in seven years during postseason play, but they knew it was going to be a real battle. The Lady Dragons (23-1-1) were the state runner-up in last year’s state tournament, losing in the championship to Plano West 4-1.

With about 12 minutes remaining in the first half, Southlake Carroll freshman midfielder Allyison Gardner launched the ball from 25 yards out. The shot floated over reaching junior goalie Rachel Johnson to give Lady Dragons a 1-0 lead heading into halftime.

“When [Southlake Carroll] scored their first goal, I thought we could come back,” junior forward Sarah King said. “We just ran out of time and couldn’t capitalize.”

Coppell didn’t give up though, the second half, the girls kept the pressure on the Lady Dragons. King, junior forward Tara Vishneski and junior midfielder/forward Grace Vowell took several great shots on goal, but the ball could not find the net.

“It was one of those things that they had one shot that went in and we didn’t,” Coppell coach Chris Stricker said. “Championship teams find a way, and Southlake found a way.”

As a whole, the Cowgirls had a great season, as they won six tough matches in district of their 13 victories and grew together as a team.

“I’m just proud of the girls,” Stricker said. “Playing in one of the toughest districts, finishing the year strong, and formulating a great playoff run; I couldn’t ask for more.”