Early lead seals 4-0 victory for Marcus

Medha Kanamarlapudi
Coppell first baseman Madison Scott bats at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex during the seventh inning against Flower Mound Marcus on Friday. The Marauders defeated the Cowgirls, 4-0.

When Flower Mound Marcus outfielder Avery Rich hit a home run in the top of the first inning, setting Marcus’s lead for the rest of the night.

On Friday night, Marcus defeated the Cowgirls, 4-0, at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Cowgirls move to 12-12-1 overall. 

“Marcus is just a very balanced team,” Coppell softball coach Robbie Moen said. “They made a bunch of errors which gave us opportunities that we didn’t capitalize.”

Notable players of the night include Coppell junior pitcher Kayla Shannon and Marcus first baseman Brynnan Wilhite, who scored two RBIs and a triple.

“Our pitchers did a good job. Kayla did well early and we got some hits off of her,” Moen said.

Marcus senior right fielder Trysten Murphy scored in the fifth inning, marking the final run of the night. 

“You’ve got to keep doing the little things because the little things are what make up the big puzzle,” Moen said. “And tonight was one of those nights where we just didn’t hit it.”

Despite the loss, Coppell showed significant improvement since playing Marcus last year. 

“The biggest thing is we got beat by these guys last time, 12-2. This time, we lost 4-0, and played a full seven innings,” Moen said.

Coppell first baseman Natalie Miller thinks this game is a stepping stone to further improvement in the team as a whole.

“We didn’t give up even when we were in difficult situations,” Moen said. “If you stick with it, it will get better. We will get better no matter what.”

The Cowgirls play Hebron on Tuesday at CISD Baseball/Softball Complex at 7 p.m.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.