Not done yet: Girls track and field secures second in district meet, breaking records along the way

Ever since the scorching days of August, the Coppell track team has been preparing for its spring season. Its efforts culminate as Coppell advances to the Class 6A Region I area meet. 

On April 3-4, the Coppell track team finished second at the district meet, 58 points behind Flower Mound. Thirty-one Coppell athletes advance to the Class 6A Region I area meet at Denton Braswell High School on Friday: 15 from the girls’ side and 16 from the boys.  

Aside from the second-place finish, Coppell set three new school records at last Monday’s meet. Coppell sophomore Sophia Williams contributed to two of the three–placing second in the 200-meter sprint with a time of 24.88 seconds and running alongside Brooke Felix, Angelina Raicu and Izzy Sarmiento in the 400-meter relay with a time of 47.62 seconds. Coppell junior Ainsley Bramer set the third record, placing third in discus with a 125’11’-foot throw. 

According to Coppell girls coach Landon Wren, the main focus in practice leading up to Friday is rest and recovery for the athletes. The coaching staff are fine-tuning field events and relay lineups to maximize points and performance but are emphasizing rest.  

Aside from advising rest, Wren delivers another message to the athletes.

“Control what you can control and don’t worry about all the stuff that you can’t,” Wren said. “If you can do that then we’re going to perform well and I’m looking forward to getting as many of these girls in the area meet to regionals. It’s been a fun season but we’re not done yet.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.