Cowboys take early lead on Plano West for secure win

Eirene Park
Coppell junior Drew Minnick pitches during the first inning against Plano West at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex on Friday. The Cowboys defeated the Wolves, 8-3.

It is the bottom of the first inning. 

After 1-2-3 top of the first for Plano West, it is now Coppell senior and shortstop Michael Russell’s time to bat. He singles. On Coppell sophomore second baseman Jackson Floren’s single, Russell reaches third base. 

There is only one more hit needed for Russell to score. That moment occurs on Coppell senior third baseman Matthew Orr’s RBI single.

Russell scores. And then so does Floren, on senior center fielder Brodie Scott’s single. But, the Cowboys were looking to widen the gap.

With sophomore catcher Cain Frosk at bat, he sends a pitch to left field and Plano West is unable to make the catch. Scott and Orr score, as well as Frosk who came all the way around on the play.

By the end of the first inning, the Cowboys had scored five runs. It is a lead established early, and one that ultimately contributed to the Cowboys defeating Plano West, 8-3, Friday night, at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. 

“We have the same game plan every game,” Coppell coach Armando Garza said. “It’s coming out hot and trying to score first. We did that. It’s a process that we trust.”

In the second inning, Coppell senior left fielder Aaron Colby doubled and scored on Russell’s double. Russell eventually goes on to score and so does Coppell junior second baseman Joaquin Oaxaca. 

Plano West’s first score came in the fourth inning, with subsequent scores by junior right fielder Jack Kilmer and sophomore left fielder Keller Caulk on left fielder JT Gorman’s double. The last score for the Wolves also comes in the fourth inning when Enrique Palomino scores. 

Coppell plays Flower Mound on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

Follow Anushree De (@anushree_night) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.