A senior night victory for Cowgirls lacrosse

Isabella Callegaro Santos
Coppell senior attacker Kate Nelson scores in the first quarter against Grapevine on Friday at Coppell Middle School North. Coppell defeated Grapevine, 9-3, in its final home game of the season.

To close the season with its final home game, the Coppell girls lacrosse team defeated Grapevine, 9-3, on Friday at Coppell Middle School North. 

The Cowgirls showed dominance throughout the game, starting the first quarter off strong with four goals, two of which were scored by senior attacker Kate Nelson. 

“I’m not that good at penalty shots, but I knew tonight was the chance to try it out,” Nelson said.  “So I took those risks, but it was Senior Night and I thought I have to rack some points out.

With just less than 10 seconds remaining of the game, with a score of 9-2 for Coppell, sophomore Emersen Denning scored a last goal for Grapevine. 

Coppell girls’s lacrosse team celebrate another goal against Grapevine on Friday at Coppell Middle School North. Coppell defeated Grapevine, 9-3, in its final home game of the season.
(Isabella Callegaro Santos)

“It was really fulfilling because I was working hard all game and I got the goal,” Denning. “We needed one last thing to end the game on a good note. But I feel great, I’m really tired but I feel great!” 

The plan behind the last home game was to let the seniors lead the match on both sides, making it a special victory for Coppell. 

“Going into this game our seniors were very excited to play and have the opportunity to score,” Coppell coach Emily Doran said.”We had our defenders take different opportunities to get a goal, so they continued to build the energy and the momentum throughout the game.”

“I’ve actually been with some of the senior since they started playing in third grade and I’ve moved up with them every single year. This being the last home game on this field was really sentimental, but I know they are going to do great things in the future and we couldn’t be more proud of them.” Said Doran 

Grapevine gets ready to say goodbye to its seniors after competing against Coppell, as well.  

“It feels like it has been a really fast season, a lot of them have prom tomorrow. I think it’s really special to go from a lacrosse game right into a big event like that, which are really defining moments of their senior year,”Grapevine assistant Megan Salvadore said. “I feel like they are really happy with today’s game because the feeling on the field was different than the score board, both ways.” 

Although Coppell usually plays a greater defensive position, the Cowgirls’ technique reflected a quick offensive game, with a variety of players scoring. 

“Most of the time I’m only a defender, but with it being senior night, every senior gets to have their chance of being able to score, so Kate, along with all the other seniors in our team, was very supportive of this,” senior defender Liberty McConnell said. “So having Kate trying to pass for me to shoot, to get that assist, for me to get my first goal ever, which is really special to me, and it’s something that I’ll remember forever.” 

Follow @isabella.callegaros and @sidekicksports on X