Cowgirls rally to scratch out exciting win to conclude season

Isheeta Bajjuri
Coppell junior pitcher Kayla Shannon pitches against the Plano on April 19 at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Cowgirls defeated the Wildcats, 9-8.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, with Plano leading by a run, the Coppell softball team makes its comeback as runs by junior third baseman Kimber Kerrigan and junior catcher gave the Cowgirls a 9-8 victory on April 19 at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

The Cowgirls end their season on a positive note with a record of 12-14-0.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Coppell marks the beginning of its comeback, with sophomore first baseman Cecillia Borque and sophomore third baseman Madi Scott third base scoring.

“All that momentum was on our side and then we had some girls get big hits,” Coppell coach Robbie Moen said. 

In the bottom of the first inning, Coppell senior shortstop Mallory Moore scored first, followed by junior third baseman Kimber Kerrigan, leaving Coppell and Plano tied at 2-2. 

“Everybody battled at the plate,” Moore said. “We were down and we didn’t let that affect us. We kept having a clean defense and having bats for each other, not necessarily for ourselves.” 

Plano led 7-4 till the bottom of the fifth inning, where Coppell junior right fielder Carly Mayer, Coppell junior left fielder Natalie Yowell and senior shortstop Madison Sadler scored, leaving the Cowgirls and Wildcats tied at 7.

“It’s our last game so I just think the girls finally bought in tonight and played as hard as they could for as long as it took,” Moen said. 

Follow @CHSCampusNews and nehann_111 on X.