Cowgirls catch victory in toe to toe game against Ursuline

The Coppell girls lacrosse team defeated Ursuline, 19-13, at Coppell Middle School North in its home opener on Wednesday.

Fifteen seconds into the fourth quarter, Dallas Ursuline Academy strikes continuously and ruthlessly scoring three goals in less than 45 seconds. Coppell’s initial lead of 14-9 is diminished within seconds, closing onto a one point gap, 14-13.

The blow of a whistle cut through the breeze at CMSN  as Coppell called timeout, stepped back into the game and scored five goals in a row.

With a tie 2-2 in the first quarter, the Cowgirls gained momentum in the second quarter with senior Wrenn Popp’s consecutive scores allowed them to maintain consistent high defense and hard hitting offense, 10-5. Even as Ursuline tightened its offense and striked continuously, Cowgirls led the third quarter 14-9, and a win with 19-13. 

“The players stayed in the game mentally and gave it their all,” Coppell coach Emily Dorran said. “We need to make sure we are maintaining possession but we are continuing to build up on the momentum that we started tonight and look forward to another win.”