Girls lacrosse victorious over Allen in exhilarating overtime

Sohana Singh
The Coppell girls lacrosse team played Allen on Thursday at Coppell Middle School North. Coppell defeated Allen, 17-16, in overtime.

Two seconds left. Coppell repositions, and an intense silence fills the stands. After a suspenseful wait, the timer resumes. 

Coppell scores, just prior to the buzzer, and the crowd erupts in exuberant cheers along with the team. The score is now tied, moving the game into a three-minute overtime.

The Coppell girls lacrosse team defeated Allen, 17-16, on Thursday at Coppell Middle School North. 

The Cowgirls scored three goals in the last 30 seconds of the fourth quarter, allowing them to catch up to Allen’s lead from the third quarter.

“We told the team that it was the best last 30 seconds we’ve seen them play ever,” Coppell coach Emily Doran said. 

With Coppell barely missing a goal with four seconds left on the clock, the referees determined the ball went out of bounds at two seconds, offering the Cowgirls a chance to seize their victory.

Doran credits the victory to the team’s drive.

“The went into it wanting it and knowing that the game wasn’t done just because we were short on time,” Doran said. “We have a very special group this year, who all want to go to state.”

Sharp at 9 p.m, at the start of overtime, the field lights shut off as regularly scheduled. A break was taken prior to overtime to turn on the lights, and overtime resumed once the issue was resolved.

Coppell and Allen alternated scores throughout the first and second quarters. Allen overtook Coppell in the third quarter, but Coppell made its astonishing comeback in the latter half of the fourth quarter.

“We had a low energy at the start, but they picked it up by the second half,” Doran said. “They wanted the ball, and that’s all we could ask of them.”

Coppell plays Rockwall at Coppell Middle School North on April 6 at 1 p.m.

Follow @SidekickSports on X.