Young Cowgirls fall short against first place Lady Dragons

Dominic DeCello

Staff writer

@decelloballer21

Sophomore Sami Thomas hits a triple as Cowgirls fall short to Lady Dragons at home 9-2
Sophomore Sami Thomas hits a triple during Tuesday night’s game. The Cowgirls lost 9-2 at their home game against the Southlake Carroll Lady Dragons. Photo by Kelly Monaghan.

On a beautiful nice Tuesday night at Coppell West Middle School the Coppell Cowgirls softball team battled first place Southlake Carroll Lady Dragons.

The Lady Dragons scored six runs in the sixth inning to claim a 9-2 victory. Despite the loss, the Cowgirls are still in line for a playoff push as they are currently tied for third place in District 7-6A. The girls next game is Tuesday at Richland.

The game started off slow with no action through the first inning. In the second inning Southlake Carroll got a hit off CHS starting pitcher sophomore Rachel Sheffield, but the Cowgirls got out of the inning with an excellent double play by sophomore third baseman Sami Thomas.

In the top of the third inning Southlake Carroll put together a solid inning but the Cowgirls limited the damage to just three runs, giving the Lady Dragons 3-0 lead.

With great pitching by Sheffield in the top of fourth, it set up the Cowgirls to get back in the game in the bottom half of the inning. With a leadoff single by junior Ali Gentry, and triple by Thomas to score the first run for the Cowgirls. Coppell catcher Madi Traver hit a deep sac fly to center field and Thomas scores to cut the lead to 3-2.

In the top of the fifth, Southlake Carroll started off the inning with a single. But behind an excellent play by sophomore first baseman Brittany Rainbolt and good pitching by Sheffield, the Cowgirls limited the Lady Dragons attack to just one run.

Things looked promising for Cowgirls in the bottom of the fifth with a leadoff walk then a beautiful bunt by Sheffield landing right on the third baseline and with a bad throw by the Lady Dragons the cowgirls have runners at second and third with no outs. But the Lady Dragons defense stood tall and the Cowgirls could not convert their efforts into any runs.

The Lady Dragons then turned on their high powered offense to score five runs in the top of the sixth. putting the score at 9-2. The rest of the game the Cowgirls battled hard to make a comeback but just couldn’t overcome the deficit with a loss to first place Lady Dragons.