With state wrestling tournament wrapped up, Coppell comes out with two wrestlers placing

By Alex Nicoll

Editor-in-Chief

@NicollMac

Coppell senior is declared the winner of his match against Southlake Carroll junior Jack Duval by a 6-3 decision. Murillo took fourth at the UIL state wrestling tournament on Feb. 21 at the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland. Photo by Mallorie Munoz.

“Even though I lost, I lost giving it my all,” senior David Murillo said.

Murillo’s initial reaction after losing his last match as a Coppell Cowboy, summed up the performance of all Cowboys at the University Interscholastic League (UIL) state wrestling tournament on Saturday at the Curtis Culwell Center.

With only two state placers, Coppell’s performance did not mirror coach Chip Lowery’s hopeful expectations for the day.

“We would’ve liked to have more place, but we had a boys placer and a girls placer so we like when we have that balance,” Lowery said. “This is our 16th year with a state place winner, so we’re happy to keep that streak alive.”

Murillo (160), the only state wrestler on the boys side, took fourth place after losing to Comal Canyon High School freshman Joshua Myers in the third place match by an 8-6 decision.

“It was a lot harder than last year,” Murillo said. “Last year I had some easy matches, but this year everyone seemed like a hard one. Everyone was better.”

Murillo and Myers both were forced out of the championship bracket by Cinco Ranch senior Ricky Regas, the defending Class 5A 182 champion and this year’s Class 6A 160 champion.

“He was a really strong kid; I couldn’t get off bottom,” Murillo said. “He’s really good.”

Having to wrestle Regas in the second round, Murillo lost the match by a 3-0 decision. The talent at this year’s state tournament was unparalleled to any other year that Murillo or Lowery had seen.

“For David’s weight it was exceptional,” Lowery said. “He had it real tough.”

Junior Koa Moe (185) placed fifth after dropping her first match to Arlington High School sophomore Naara Gonzalez after falling at th 2:37 mark. Moe then wrestled all her way to the semifinals of the third place match but fell to Shoemaker High School senior Anna Ford after falling at the 3:43 mark. Moe, sister of former Class 5A 215 champion Roger Moe, exceeded all expectations of her performance on the day, in spite of dropping three matches.

“Koa [Moe] was predicted to place so we’re happy that she did,” Lowery said.

With one year left, Moe could take the place of Murillo as being the top contender for the state title. However that spot is still up in the air, ready for the taking, according to Lowery.

“Some people are going to have to step up, the position is wide open,” Lowery said.

For the results of the whole tournament, click here for boys and here for girls.