Cowboys aim to overcome second-place stalemate against Plano East

The Coppell boys soccer team celebrates after Coppell senior forward Samuel Stone scores the match’s only goal with 42 seconds left in the first half at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell hosts Plano East on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field in District 6-6A action.
Wendy Le

In the past few weeks, the Coppell boys soccer team has found itself in a deadlock with Hebron at second place in District 6-6A, slipping from the top of the standings. The Cowboys face fifth-place Plano East on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field.

The Cowboys hope to manipulate space on the field and put players in the center against the Panthers. The last time they faced each other, Coppell drew 0-0 with Plano East.

“Even if the ball goes wide, there’s only one place where it has to come back: the middle,” Coppell coach Stephen Morris said.

This intense style of play has brought Coppell wins against Lewisville and Plano West. By keeping pressure on their opponent,  the Cowboys are more likely to seize ball possession and take advantage of a counterattack.

A key part of this strategy is also patience and deliberation to make sure that Coppell advances smartly with the ball and maintains possession, a skill the team is honing in practice.

“We’re working on getting better at the things we do, which is patiently and smartly winning the ball,” Morris said. “After that, we want to see if we can attack quickly and precisely, or let the numbers build up.”

Aiding this strategy is also Coppell’s experienced lineup, including senior defender Chaz Null, senior forward Sam Stone, senior midfielder Anson Skorka and senior goalkeeper Jacob Campbell. 

Stone is Coppell’s lead goal scorer and assist maker, with six goals and six assists in his last seven matches played for the Cowboys.

Additionally, Coppell is looking out for Plano East senior midfielder Duncan Sullivan, who has stood out in his contributions to the Panthers.

“[Sullivan] has been instrumental in any success that they have had,” Morris said.

By refining their tactics and controlling key points on the field, the Cowboys hope to dominate the field this Friday.

“I expect them to put up a good performance and not let up at any given moment until the whistle is blown and the results are in,” Morris said.

Follow Yug (@YugTalukdar) and @CHSCampusNews on X.