Girls soccer enters bi-district battle in Prosper

Katie Park
Plano sophomore defender Lainey Przywara defends Coppell sophomore forward Sofia Chavez at Buddy Echols Field on March 19. Coppell travels to Prosper for the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs at 6 p.m. tonight.

In 2021, Prosper defeated the Coppell girls soccer team, 2-0, in the Class 6A Region I area playoffs and the Cowgirls have not advanced past the first round since. This week, Coppell has an opportunity to break the cycle and a shot at redemption. 

Today, Coppell (16-3-4) plays Prosper (19-2-2) for the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs at 6 p.m. at Prosper’s Children’s Health Stadium. 

Tuesday’s match will be a battle for possession. According to Coppell coach Craig Able, both teams tend to play through the back of the field and break defensive lines with direct and meaningful possession. 

Offensively, Coppell looks to control the tempo of the match by breaking Prosper’s defensive lines while using its outside backs to generate attacks and overloads, with its midfielders making runs in the top half of the pitch. 

Heading into the match, Coppell looks to contain the Eagles, ranked No. 3 in Class 6A, on one side of the field rather than allowing them to switch to slow down their speed of play and force them to play flat passes that the Cowgirls can intercept. 

“Prosper is ranked high in the state and has a great record but we’re in the same boat and people like to overlook that,” Able said. “So I want to remind the girls of who we are and why we are a team to be feared. It’s time that people start remembering Coppell soccer’s legacy and what it means to play here.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.