Girls soccer blanks Plano, 7-0, in seasons’s 14th shutout

Plano+junior+midfielder+Alycia+Piesker+defends+Coppell+senior+defender+Lauren+Monroe+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+The+Cowgirls+defeated+the+Wildcats%2C+7-0%2C+on+Tuesday.+
Katie Park
Plano junior midfielder Alycia Piesker defends Coppell senior defender Lauren Monroe at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowgirls defeated the Wildcats, 7-0, on Tuesday.

Time expires on the scoreboard and the Coppell girls soccer team sideline rushes onto Buddy Echols Field, celebrating its final home victory this season.

On Tuesday, the Coppell girls soccer team defeated Plano, 7-0. Tuesday was also Coppell’s Senior Night as the team recognized nine graduating seniors from the program. Coppell won the previous meeting against Plano as well, defeating the Wildcats, 3-0, on Feb. 13. 

“Tonight is another reminder of what we’re capable of,” Coppell coach Craig Able said. “When we do the right things and play the right way, it shows how dangerous of a team we can be. It says a lot to who we are that we weren’t happy with a [previous] 3-0 win so I’m proud of the girls for coming out tonight.” 

After Tuesday’s results, the Cowgirls are tied with Hebron for second place in District 6-6A. However, since each team won a match in both meetings, Hebron takes the goal differential tiebreaker and secures second place heading into playoffs, leaving Coppell to finish at third place. 

Coppell (16-3-4) plays Prosper (19-2-2) on Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Class 6A bi-district playoffs at Prosper Children’s Health Stadium. 

The Cowgirls’ first goal was scored within the first five minutes and by the end of the first half, Coppell secured a six-goal lead. Freshman midfielder Emeline Holder scored twice and the following players each scored once: sophomore forward Neerali Kapadia, senior midfielder Ella Spiller, senior forward Sadie Ozymy and sophomore midfielder Rachel Mathew. 

According to Able, Plano utilizes a low-block defense, allowing its opponents to maintain possession but making it difficult to score. In response to the Cowgirls lead, at halftime the Wildcats transitioned to a deeper defense, which according to Able is why Coppell wasn’t able to score as many goals in the second half. Nevertheless, Ozymy scored her second goal in the second half inside the box with an assist from junior forward Reagan Roberson.

“We are a team to be feared,” Able said. “All of the top 10 teams in the state are in the same region so it’s a really tough round one matchup. We had three quality losses this season and we’re a team that people should fear so we’re going to make sure we play with that confidence and swagger.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.