Girls soccer hosts Wildcats in final home match before playoffs

Minori Kunte
Hebron senior midfielder Jacey Beer defends Coppell junior midfielder Summer Chen at Buddy Echols Field on March 6. The Cowgirls host Plano in their final match of the regular season at Buddy Echols Field tonight at 7:30 p.m.

With the excitement and adrenaline of playoffs right around the corner, the Coppell girls soccer team finishes its regular season tonight against Plano. 

Tonight, the Cowgirls host Plano at Buddy Echols Field at 7:30 p.m. and celebrate Senior Night. Tonight’s match is the second meeting between the teams, Coppell previously defeating Plano, 3-0, on Feb. 13. 

Heading into the match, Plano (3-17-3 overall, 2-11 in District 6-6A) is currently seventh in district and is on a two-match losing streak, falling 6-0 to district frontrunner Flower Mound on March 5 and 3-0 to Marcus on March 8. The Cowgirls (15-3-4, 8-2-3) are coming off a 0-0 tie with Flower Mound. 

“At this point in the year, we expect to win every game,” Coppell coach Craig Able said. “Whether it’s Flower Mound or Plano, we believe that we can beat anybody in the state. The girls have performed at an incredibly high level all season long, we’ve earned all the points we’ve gotten and our district is the best in the state.”

According to Able, Plano is a low-block team, allowing its opponents to possess in the back end of the field but stifling any attacks with its deep defense. In response, Coppell looks to have patience and find the right moments to offensively break through and create goal scoring opportunities. 

Since Coppell is secured for Class 6A playoffs next week, the team looks to gain more traction prior to the first round. 

“We’d like to get some goals heading into playoffs to get some momentum and carry it,” Able said. “Round one is going to be crazy hard because five of the top seven teams in state all meet up so it’s going to be a battle but we’re ready for it. We just need to stay healthy, and get some positive momentum going.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.