Coppell set to clash with Prosper in playoff opener

Determined to upset third-ranked team
Kayla Nguyen
Coppell junior forward Caden Naef and Plano East senior midfielder Toby Nouanesengsy rush for possession at Buddy Echols Field on March 1. Coppell plays Prosper at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday in the Class 6A Division Region I bi-district playoffs at Children’s Health Stadium at PISD.

Three losses. 

The third-ranked Prosper boys soccer team sustained three losses this season. Coppell sustained six. 

Now, the records are off the table as the Class 6A Division I Region I playoffs begin. One loss is all it takes for any chance of a state championship to go out of the window. 

Coppell (12-4-6) will travel to Prosper (16-3-1) at 8:00 pm on Tuesday and looks to make a statement about its presence in the tournament. 

“Prosper is a really tough team to beat,” Coppell coach Stephen Morris said. “We know they are really well coached and we have to come out with perfect technique right off the bat.”

Going in, the strategy is to contain the ball within Coppell’s side and maintain possession throughout the game. 

“We need to contain Prosper to limited touches and have the most physical game we have had up to this point,” Morris said. “If we take too long to get comfortable in the game, we will lose before we ever get a chance.”

With the playoffs beginning, the chance for the Cowboys to prove themselves as a contender begins tonight.

“Obviously we aren’t on home turf and we are playing the third best team in the state,” Morris said. “I believe in our ability to execute and play at a level that these other teams play at.”

Follow Namir (@namir_awan) and @SidekickSports on X