Cowgirls score 8-0 victory against Lewisville

Greeshma Marathu
Coppell freshman Adwitha Challa defends against Lewisville junior Ayda Gonzalez on Friday at Buddy Echols Field. Coppell soccer defeated Lewisville, 8-0, in District 6-6A play.

On a cold rainy night on Buddy Echols Field, the Coppell girls soccer team dominated Lewisville, 8-0, on Friday.

Coppell energetically took control of the match early on, with junior midfielder Sadie Ozymy scoring, and ending halftime with a score of 5-0. 

“We all played very well and worked well as a team and we are connecting passes and communicating well,” sophomore forward Neerali Kapadia said. 

In the second half, Coppell continued its defensive play, with senior defender Hannah Rosson scoring two goals in the final minutes of the match.

“Hannah Rawson is a centerback who’s played a lot of great defensive minutes for us and so her being able to get two goals and two header goals in district is really exciting,” Coppell coach Craig Able said. “It was really fun to see a freshman name holder get another district goal.” 

Coppell controlled the tempo and possessions, and cohesively defended as a unit, leading to the shutout.  

“Our strategy was to control possession, play out of the back, get our outside backs in the attack, and look to create opportunities in front of the goal,” Able said. “I think when you win 8-0, it definitely is an emphatic way to go out 8 to 0 and we’re just really proud of the girls the way they play.”

With a record of 12-1-1, Coppell plays at Flower Mound Marcus on Tuesday. 

“We know they’re incredibly fast and athletic and great in transition so for us, it’s making sure our transition defense is there and making sure we know how to communicate our needs as a team defensively and we find the right transitions offensively,” Able said. 

Follow @CHSCampusNews and @nehann_111 on X