Freshman Forecast: How to navigate your freshman year

Kavya Lokhande
Freshmen often feel overwhelmed when they start high school, with many questioning what their focus will be, who their friends are, and what clubs to join. In contrast, upperclassmen wish they could go back to enjoy their freshman year more, free of the stress that comes in the later parts of high school.

“I’m so sick of this. When will high school be over?”

If you are a freshman, chances are that you have thought these sentiments at least once in the first month of school. Many freshman students quickly feel overburdened when dipping their toes into the abyss of newfound high school stresses at CHS9.

In Coppell, we attend a high school with an astounding amount of competition which can add unnecessary amounts of stress to an already foreign experience. Trust me when I say, everything you are feeling is valid, but it gets much better as the year goes on.The most important way to not be overwhelmed is to take it step at a time. 

Take a step back

The most important thing you can do is breathe. Take a break and think about how much work you have for each class. Try to tackle each class one at a time and stay organized, keeping a planner of all of the work you have in a day. If you have an accessible place where you can see all of your tasks for the day, it can make it seem like less work than you think.

Make new friends

While that sounds easier said than done, remember everyone is probably as nervous as you are and supporting each other in and outside of school really helps make freshman year much easier. Start by making casual conversation with someone or even give them a compliment. Creating friendships right now can create lasting bonds that will last you throughout the rest of your high school career and beyond.

It’s OK to ask for help

All in all, remember that you are in an environment that exists to help you and is there to catch you when you fall, regardless of how competitive it seems. Your teachers want to see you succeed so don’t be nervous to ask for help. Also, make sure to confide in your friends if you are struggling in any way, whether it be mentally, or school wise. There are many resources at CHS9 that exist to support you when you’re suffering, such as the Comfort Room, and your guidance counselors. They will understand your grievances and support you in every step of the way.

As a new high school student, remind yourself that it is valid to be stressed and to take your freshman experience one step at a time, because it will be over before you know it.

Follow @anvita_bondada and @CHSCampusNews on X.