Cowboys stay alive with win over Jaguars on Senior Night

By Sloane Samberson

The varsity boys of Coppell High School’s basketball team fought a hard battle last night. In an incredibly close game, the Cowboys beat the Flower Mound Jaguars, 60-59.

Coppell (20-12) has one more game, a play-in, against the Jaguars (19-12) on Friday night at Grapevine High School at 7:30 p.m, to fight for the final playoff spot in District 5-5A.

Senior guard Brandon Watson’s pair of made free throws with ten seconds left in the game proved to be the difference, after Flower Mound junior guard Jake Feickert drained a three-pointer at the horn.

Senior point guard Landon Gosling was the leader on the court for the Cowboys. Goesling did everything on Tuesday, making shots and getting his teammates involved. He finished with 19 points to lead the Cowboys.

At the start of the second quarter, senior forward Simi Socks scored a three pointer to get the Cowboys going, but Flower Mound countered with a strong 9-0 run.

Senior forward Chad Kaiser broke Flower Mound’s scoring streak by adding one more point to the scoreboard. By the end of the second quarter, the score was 28-35 and things were not looking great for Coppell.

The third quarter was very subtle, but by the start of the fourth quarter the score was 43-42, Coppell being back on top.

Flower Mound, down just two points, ran the clock for 20 seconds until Goesling and senior guard Brett Kuechler stole the ball with 10 seconds left to preserve the win.