Late first-half goal by Stone puts Cowboys on top of match

Wendy Le
Coppell players celebrate after Coppell senior forward Samuel Stone scores its only goal in the game with 42 seconds left in the first half at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell defeated Lewisville, 1-0, tieing them with Hebron for second place in District 6-6A.

Friday night, the Coppell boys soccer team defeated Lewisville, 1-0, at Buddy Echols Field. 

With 42 seconds left in the first half, Coppell senior forward Sam Stone scored off an assist from junior forward Luis mendez. 

“Once we get to a 1-0 score, it is about maintaining the control of the game,” Stone said. “Because I’m not going to hunt for goals, I’m not going for statistics, because it’s about a win at the end of the day.”

When the Cowboys got the ball to their forwards, Stone, Mendez, junior forward J McGill and senior forward Gareth Meza Murillo weaved their way through the Lewisville defense and kept the ball on the Farmers’ side of the field for minutes at a time.

As a forward, I’m looking to score goals or looking for other people to score goals,” McGill said. “So every time I receive the ball, I’m always looking to go forward, whether it’s to dribble myself or pass it on to someone else for them to score.

The Cowboys are now 6-2-1 in District 6-6A.

The Cowboys play at Flower Mound Marcus on Tuesday. 

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.