Dragons blaze through softball home opener with four runs in fifth inning

Eirene Park
Coppell junior Kayla Shannon pitches against Southlake Carroll on Tuesday at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Dragons defeated the Cowgirls, 8-4.

In the top of the fifth inning, the Coppell softball team and Southlake Caroll are tied. 

Carroll center fielder Emmy May steps up to the plate, with two outs and third baseman Jordan Stewart on third. On the second pitch, May pounds a ball through the infield to score Stewart and set the momentum for Carroll to lead the rest of the night.  

On Tuesday night, Carroll defeated the Cowgirls, 8-4, at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

Coppell established an early lead in the game, with left fielder Courtney Hargrow and senior third baseman Mallory Moore both scoring in the first inning. Caroll right fielder Kelly Warden responded at the top of the second with a solo home run and closing Coppell’s lead to 2-1. 

“I expected them to have some power, which that girl showed with the big home run,” Coppell coach Robbie Moen said. “They had some really fast girls on the bases and that was not surprising. But it changes the game a little when your outfielder is getting the ball at the same time they’re touching third base.”

Coppell senior third baseman Mallory Moore bats against Southlake Carroll on Tuesday at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Dragons defeated the Cowgirls, 8-4. (Eirene Park)

Coppell junior second baseman Natalie Howell and right fielder Audrey Pham scored in the bottom of the third, extending the Cowgirls’ lead to 4-1 over Carroll. In the Dragon’s next at-bat, Carroll scored three runs, tying the game at 4-4 heading into the fifth inning and Coppell was never able to offensively recover.  

Despite their loss in the home opener, the Cowgirls look ahead as they play six games this weekend at the Humble Tournament. 

“We’re still right where we need to be, we’re not out of anything yet,” Moen said. “Our season isn’t lost or won.” 

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.