Hebron next on ‘revenge streak’

Coppell senior guard Ella Spiller looks to pass while being guarded by Flower Mound senior Kaitlyn Edmondson and junior guard Maya Bujak at CHS Arena on Friday. The Cowgirls host Hebron on Tuesday at 6:15 p.m. for Senior Night.
Safiya Azam

Flower Mound, Hebron and Plano East are the only losses in the Coppell girls basketball team’s District 6-6A record. After avenging the loss against Flower Mound, the Cowgirls now look to continue the streak against Hebron. 

On Tuesday, the Coppell girls basketball team (21-13, 8-3 in District 6-6A) hosts Hebron (28-2, 11-0) at 6:15 p.m. at CHS Arena for Senior Night and Coppell’s last home game of the regular season. 

“We joked around that these three games– Flower Mound, Hebron, Plano East – are all revenge games for us,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said.

Adding to Coppell’s drive for redemption are the results from last year against Hebron. Coppell fell to Hebron in both meetings last season, the second loss on a buzzer beater, a vivid memory for senior guard Ella Spiller. For Senior Night, all Spiller is looking for is to end on a victory against Hebron. 

According to Spiller, the Cowgirls are “pretty good at revenge streaks.”

However, Hebron’s record is intimidating to say the least: two losses in its entire season, undefeated in district and ranked second in state.

Despite their nearly perfect record, the Hawks barely scraped by on Friday night, defeating Plano West 48-45 in overtime. 

According to Spiller, the Cowgirls are preparing for Hebron’s entire roster, but specifically seniors point guard Paris Bradley, shooting guard Micah Cooper, center Jordan Thomas and junior shooting guard Sydnee Jones. 

“Hopefully we can finish the next three games as consistent as we’ve been and then get ready for playoffs,” Murphy said. 

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.