Second quarter surge leads Cowgirls past Plano with ease

Eirene Park
Coppell sophomore guard HC Harding drives against Plano junior shooting guard Kenya Palmer-Taylor on Friday at CHS Arena. Coppell defeated Plano, 71-38.

With a stellar second quarter, scoring 26 points in total, the Coppell girls basketball team dominated Plano Senior, 71-38 on Friday at CHS Arena. 

“That second quarter was probably the best quarter we played in a while,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. 

After a loss on Tuesday against Plano East, the Cowgirls came into Friday’s game strong, scoring 44 points in the first half with high-energy and precise offense. Notably, junior guard Landry Sherrer and sophomore guard HC Harding took fire on court as both players combined scored 30 points in the first half  with quick plays and strong shooting accuracy.

“The team’s energy during tonight’s game was a night and day difference from Tuesday’s game,” Murphy said. “We made sure that we came in focused and played with maximum effort. Landry was putting the ball in and making some good decisions, and HC got hot.”

Coppell junior guard Landry Sherrer leads the Cowgirls offense against Plano on Friday at CHS Arena. Coppell defeated Plano Senior High, 71-38. (Eirene Park)

Coppell maintained its comfortable lead in the third quarter despite cooling off on the offensive end of the court.

“The third quarter was slow and sometimes it can be hard, because when you jump on a team and have a 27point lead, you can kind of relax a bit and lo0se the intensity you started the game with,” Murphy said. “We started with good energy and came out with half of it.”

Murphy said the team discussed doing a better job at boxing out and creating gaps for offense to allow for more ball movement and passing. 

“I thought our energy was definitely better in the fourth quarter than the third,” Murphy said. “We tried to force bad shots into transitions and cut hard setting screens, which I thought the girls did a good job of.” 

The Cowgirls play Plano West on Tuesday.

“I hope we remain consistent,” Murphy said. “Our motto has been to make sure that every day, we’re predictable.”

Follow @sahasrachak24 and @SidekickSports on X.