Cowgirls fall short to Plano East

Neha Nathwani
Coppell senior setter Alena Truong spikes the ball as Plano East middle hitter Summer Stephens blocks in CHS Arena on Friday. The Cowgirls lost, 26-24, 25-17, 25-22, to the Lady Panthers.

The small, yet sonorous student section stomps with pulsation and chants for the Coppell volleyball team as Plano East is two points away from match point.

Plano East spikes and senior outside hitter Daki Kahungu effortlessly jumps and blocks the ball, getting Coppell within one point in the third set.

However, Coppell wasn’t able to catch up as Plano East made a kill. The Cowgirls battled hard, but ultimately Plano East took the set 25-22 and won the match 3-0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-22) on Friday.

“It was a frustrating game,” Coppell coach Robyn Ross said. “Going into the next game, we will have to work on our blocking.”

In the third set, senior setter Alena Truong’s spikes and blocks by Kahungu created a rally between both teams creating momentum for Coppell after struggling against Plano East’s defense in the second set. 

“Our energy level wasn’t as great as I hoped,” Truong said. “The game was a bit intimidating for us since they are one of the top teams in our district right now.”

Coppell senior libero Kathryn MacDonald digs against the ball from Plano East in the CHS Arena on Friday The Cowgirls lost, 26-24, 25-17, 25-22, to the Lady Panthers. (Minori Kunte)

Coppell struggled to respond to Plano East’s senior opposite hitter Lauryn Lambert, who successfully hit through Coppell’s blockers multiple times. 

“During the first set, we knew we could have taken them on but we were very tense,” Truong said. “We made a lot of stupid errors because of that. Our playing got worse as time went on and for them, the first set was just their warm up.”

Friday’s match was also the team’s Dig for the Cure night. Players wore pink jerseys to honor those who have struggled with breast cancer. 

“We definitely learned a lot from this game,” senior libero Kate MacDonald said. “We did a lot of things well still and going into practice Monday, we will highlight what we need to work on as we go into district.”

Follow Sahasra (@sahasrachak24) and @CHSCampusNews on X.