• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Books are men of higher stature, Barrett said

By Mary Whitfill

“Books are men of higher stature; the only men that speak aloud for future times to hear,” E.S. Barrett said. I love reading and as an avid reader, I encourage those around me to crack open a good novel and discover worlds of real and make believe. The following are my favorite 5 books of all times, some touching on serious subjects, while others are light hearted and fun, but all of them will leave you better than you were before you began.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I first read To Kill a Mockingbird as a 7th grade student. Then 3 times as an 8th grade student, twice as a freshman and then again, as a sophomore. My appreciation grows every time and I dread the day that I will one day become bored with the story I have learned so well and the controversy the world still faces. This book can be read on many levels, as deep or as shallow as you desire. Virtue comes alive in this novel: what justice means, how real courage is lived, how to be generous when being selfish is easier, how to maintain a respectful persona when you suspect that you will not succeed at something, how to help another person grow without disrespecting their human freedom, how to reason without letting emotion/passion overwhelm you, the necessity of sacrifice to accomplish. I strive to represent everything in this book. Well, quite honestly, I strive to be Atticus Finch.

2. The Perks Of Being A Wall Flower by Stephen Chbosky

MTV first published this epistolary novel in 1999. The story is told in letters written to an anonymous ‘friend’ by “Charlie”, a young high school student. The story explores topics such as introversion, teenage sexuality, abuse, and the awkward times of adolescence. The book also touches strongly on drug use and Charlie’s experiences with this. As the story progresses, various works of literature and film are referenced and their meanings discussed.  As if it wasn’t famous enough already, this novel brought new fame to “Asleep” by the Smiths.

3. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

There is a scene in this novel we can all relate too. There is a scene where the main character is standing on the edge of a field watching little children run around and he is scared for them because he/they don’t know where they’re going, and all he wants to do it hold them and catch them. That’s what we all want. We all just want to be caught. (Special thanks to 8 Simple Rules for helping me to discover exactly why I love this novel and putting my deepest opinions into words).

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

Austin reached new heights in this novel with her incredible narrative of life between the sexes, challenging the tensions that exist in finding the perfect balance of love, life, family, friendship, status, and of course, pride and prejudice. The best part of the novel is that after reading, you are bewitched by its ability to be bitter-sweet and ironic while still touching on the basic stereotypes of a classic love story.  Also, an essential feature of all Austin stories, the language will astound and envelop you. What is it about classic American word choice that adds such credibility to a novel?

5. Going too Far by Jennifer Echols

This is a girl in high school who faces what we face every day. Better.  

Honorable Mention:

1. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  2. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
  3. Emma by Jane Austin
  4. The Chronicles of Narnia – C.S. Lewis  
  5. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden