Seuss celebrates another birthday, National Read Across America Day

By Mary Whitfill

Today is Theodor Geisel, pen name Dr. Seuss’, 106th birthday. Seuss was an American cartoonist most widely known for his children’s books, of which he published over 60. His most popular books include bestselling titles such as Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.

His work has been celebrated in multiple ways as many adaptations of his work have been created, such as television specials, feature films and one Broadway musical. Seuss also worked as an illustrator for advertising campaigns, as a political cartoonist and in WWI he worked in an animation department of the U.S Army.

Created by the National Education Association, National Read Across America Day is also being held today, in observance of Dr. Seuss’ birthday.

Early Life

Seuss was born in Springfield, Massachusetts. He attended Springfield’s’ Central High School and entered Dartmouth college in fall 1921, part of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. After Dartmouth he entered Lincoln College, Oxford in attempts to earn a Doctor of Philosophy in literature but met future wife Helen Palmer and returned home without earning a degree.

Later Life

After the war he returned to children’s book and wrote many works such as If I Ran the Zoo, If I Ran the Circus and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Seuss went on to write many other children’s book in a new simplified-vocabulary manner which were reportedly not easy for him to write and he labored over them for months. On October 23, 1967 his wife committed suicide after a long struggle with cancer. He remarried, but never had any children. When asked about this he said “you have ‘em; I’ll entertain ‘em.”

Death and posthumous honors

Seuss died in San Diego following several years of illness in 1991. Four years after his death, UCDS’s University Library Building was renamed Geisel Library and in 2002, the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture opened in his birthplace of Springfield, Mass.