Hopes that Lost provides answers

Next Tuesday, Feb. 6, the popular series Lost will return for its 6th and final season. As an avid watcher, I have mixed feelings about what this season has in store. After starting out with a huge following and gradually falling into what some would call a three year sophomore slump, the show is supposedly going to “answer all our unanswered questions.”

How many times have we heard this false promise? Quite frankly, I have almost bailed on the show twice, but continued watching in hopes that one of these days I would get some answers. It seems that my love for the characters outweighs my constant annoyance with new mysteries that will inevitably be left unexplained.

Remember the black smoke? How about a young whispering Walt (who now looks more like a Walter I might add. He has clearly outgrown the show.)? What about all these ties in the beginning of the series where everyone on the island seemed to be linked in their outside lives? So many questions. Not any answers. It seems like with answers only come new mysteries and confusion.

The perfect example for me is the others. Yes, I understand who they are now and have a grasp of what they are all about, but the others started out as faceless and shoeless people. I seem to recall them walking around barefoot in tattered clothes and whispering wherever they went. Maybe my memory is foggy, but I never recollect any kind of clarification.

Forgive me for ranting, for I truly do have respect for the show (clearly as I keep watching). All I am asking for is an explanation. I visit the official website quite a bit searching for something. I almost feel like I have been in a relationship with the show and after sticking by Lost’s side for six years, I feel like I am at least owed some answers. All I can say is that I hope Lost stops leaving me so lost.