First Democratic debate offers new dynamic to presidential race

By Emma Cummins

Editorial Page Editor

This Wednesday, the Democratic candidates for the presidential nomination squared off in a debate hosted by CNN. For those who missed the debate, whether they were studying for the PSAT or school work of some kind, can catch the highlights here.

Former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley moved minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10. This is a feather in his cap for a Democrat in this race. 

Former Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee has had no scandals. Chafee wanted to make this clear, as well as his honest and hardworking character. Perhaps a career in Boy Scouts would have been more successful for him?

Nothing in particular stood out to me from Jim Webb, former U.S. Senator from Virginia, but he certainly reminds one of the old type of Democrat we used to see.

Bernie Sanders loves Denmark and hates rich people. His opening statement accused millionaires and billionaires of buying politicians to serve their own personal interests, and it is clear Sanders wishes America was a bit more socialist in nature. Sanders was also very defensive when it came to Denmark and its socialist system.

Hillary Clinton changes her mind, but only once she absorbs new information. As a well-funded, veteran politician, it is not surprising that she would not be in the loop. She was grilled about her mercurial political views, but she fielded the questions well and prevarication seems to be an inherent Clinton skill.

Clinton was asked about her email controversy, but she only seemed to talk about how much the Republicans wish to bring her poll numbers down. A committee that is primarily Republican, Clinton made strong allusions to the committee’s ulterior motive being the wish to bring her down as a candidate.

Clinton stood up for capitalism but believes in government regulation, in response to Sander’s outright distaste for the capitalist system America was built upon.

Clinton and Sanders clashed when it came to gun control. Clinton was adamant about holding gun manufacturers responsible as well as other Democratic candidates who were extremely stringent when it came to gun control. Sanders is surprisingly conservative when it came to gun control.

Hillary Clinton is a woman! Clinton seemed to find it extremely important that the U.S. population know that she would be the first woman in office.

All the candidates believe that raising the wage will solve income inequality. The wealthy has to pay nothing, the poor, everything. Although it is slightly ironic that all these candidates are in the top one percent. Pretty selfless of them to want to tax themselves even more, yeah?

Total speaking time for each candidate:

Hillary Clinton: 31:05

Bernie Sanders: 28:05

Martin O’Malley: 17:56

Jim Webb: 15:35

Lincoln Chafee: 9:11

From left, Democratic presidential candidates Jim Webb, Bernie Sanders, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Martin O'Malley and Lincoln Chafee on the debate stage on Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015, in Las Vegas. (Josh Haner/NYT/Pool via Zuma Press/TNS)
From left, Democratic presidential candidates Jim Webb, Bernie Sanders, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Martin O’Malley and Lincoln Chafee on the debate stage on Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2015, in Las Vegas. (Josh Haner/NYT/Pool via Zuma Press/TNS)