To the beat of my own drum: why music shaming needs to be stopped

By Aisha Espinosa
@aishaespinosa1
Music Shaming at CHS

Most people have a favorite song, or a favorite artist. Whether it be some song on the Billboard Top 40, or by an obscure artist that only a handful of people know, people have lyrics they connect to, or songs that they have stuck on permanent repeat.

But, we as a society have let a new type of judging become more prevalent – music shaming. In short, it is the act of criticizing someone for having a different taste in music.

People have always had music tastes that differ from what is popular. No two people are going to like the exact same types of music, just like no two people agree on every little thing. And while some people chalk it up to teenagers being teenagers, music shaming goes a little deeper.

It criticizes people for liking their favorite band or artist – in essence, the music that sounds good to their ears. Our favorite choices stem from what sounds and lyrics we connect with the most, making music an inherently personal thing. Music patterns that appeal to us are not necessarily a choice that we make. According to an article by The Guardian, we like music based on dissonance levels and chords in a song.

We also connect to lyrics – one line may take us back to a really good childhood memory, or a night out with friends that left us feeling invincible.

Because music is so personal, being judged for taste in music has a little more sting. I have been on the receiving end of more than a few “oh you listen to them?” or “who even listens to them?”  comments. Hearing your favorite artist insulted in front of you, or having stereotypes made about you because you listen to a certain band leaves you feeling low.

Music shaming is juvenile, hurtful, and overall, pointless. It does nothing but create points of dislike between people, when music itself is such a powerful connector.

Sharing a mutual love for NEEDTOBREATHE let me connect with a couple of college students at the last concert I attended. My best friend’s roommate and I forged a new friendship because we love the same artist, and have supported her from the beginning of her career.
So the next time you ask someone what music they like, curb your initial reaction and take the time to actually listen to a song or two before you judge. Who knows? Maybe you’ll make a new friend, or find a new favorite artist to add to your playlist.