Fast food restaurants in Coppell are too convenient

By Sloane Samberson
@SloaneSamberson

In central Coppell, you can drive less than 1,000 feet from one fast food restaurant to find yourself at another one.

Wendy’s is across the street from Taco Bell. Sonic is less than half a mile from both of those. Drive south from Sonic and there is a McDonald’s half a mile away, not to mention there are three burger joints in close proximity to each other (Smashburger, Mooyah’s and Deliman’s Grill).

Some would call this convenience, but I call it excessive. Texas is one of the most unhealthy states in America because of the extensive amounts of fast food restaurants.

According to The State of Obesity, in 2013 in Texas 30.9 percent of adults and 15.7 percent of high school students were obese. This ranked Texas as the 15th most obese state for adults, and the fifth most obese state for high school students.

The obesity rate in Texas is so high for high school students because of the freedom that comes with turning 16: a driver’s license.

In a poll of 20 randomly selected 16-year-old and above students at Coppell High School, on average they ate out three to four times a week. Three of the 20 students ate out five to seven days a week. The results indicate how dependent students with driver’s licenses are on eating out, rather than at home.

Students are not the only ones eating out more than they should, but adults too.

Picking up a quick meal from Jersey Mike’s, Boston Market or Chipotle is much easier than slaving in the kitchen for three hours, especially since many parents work.

Parent(s) set the example for their children, and by giving the “OK” to eat out every other day, even everyday, their children won’t realize that it is unhealthy, rather it is normal.

It is possible to find healthy choices at fast food restaurants. My dad eats lunch out every day, but chooses healthy choices such as a salad from McDonald’s or Fresh Fit choice from Subway.

Here is a comparison of nutrition between the typical choice at fast food restaurants in Coppell and a more healthy option:

(Note: every nutrition calculation accounts for eating the entire meal.)

• Smashburger
    • Typical Meal
      • Small Classic Burger (no condiments) – 600 calories, 36 grams of fat, 15 grams of saturated fat and 24 grams of protein
        • With Smashfries- 1,070 calories, 60 grams of fat, 22 grams of saturated fat and 28 grams of protein
        • With Smashfries and Vanilla Milkshake- 1,830 calories, 106 grams of fat, 49 grams of saturated fat and 41 grams of protein
    • Healthy Option
      • Spinach, Cucumber & Goat Cheese Salad with Grilled Chicken (without dressing) – 390 calories, 18 grams of fat, 8 grams of saturated fat and 35 grams of protein
        • With Balsamic Dressing – 560 calories, 32 grams of fat, 9.5 grams of saturated fat and 35 grams of protein

Information found at: http://smashburger.com/eat/nutrition-allergen/

• Einstein Bros Bagels
    • Typical Meal
      • Blueberry Bagel- 300 calories, 1 gram of fat, 0 grams of saturated fat and 10 grams of protein
        • With Plain Schmear- 450 calories, 16 grams of fat, 10 grams of saturated fat and 12 grams of protein
    • Healthy Option
      • Thintastic Egg Whites “Southwest Turkey Sausage”- 390 calories, 13 grams of fat, 6 grams of saturated fat and 24 grams of protein

Information found at: http://www.einsteinbros.com/nutrition/classic-bagels-plain

• Schlotzsky’s
    • Typical Meal
      • Small Deluxe Original Style- 760 calories, 44 grams of fat, 17 grams of saturated fat and 43 grams of protein
        • With Schlotzsky’s Barbeque Chips- 990 calories, 57 grams of fat, 18.5 grams of saturated fat and 46 grams of protein
    • Healthy Option
      • Small Smoked Turkey Breast- 330 calories, 5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat and 19 grams of protein
        • With Baked Barbeque Lays- 460 calories, 6.5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat and 20 grams of protein

Information found at: http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/restaurant/Schlotzskys

Really, the only solely health and diet conscious restaurant in Coppell is Zoë’s Kitchen, which has been open since January.

I was ecstatic with the opening of Zoë’s Kitchen. Finally a restaurant that had more healthy options than not,  but after a while, eating at Zoë’s Kitchen every week, got really old, really fast.

There are many restaurants that I think could prosper in Coppell such as Lyfe Kitchen, Snap Kitchen and Salata. All of these restaurants are wholesome, having vegetarian and vegan options and could cater to the health conscious in our community.

Coppell does not chose restaurants based on their healthiness. Restaurants are chosen based on popularity and how well they’ll do in the community.

“Coppell has a very healthy initiative,” Coppell’s Assistant Planning Director Marcie Diamond said. “While we keep in mind the well being of community members, the Planning Department only reviews restaurant applications, we have no say in what’s on the menu.”

If Coppell wanted to be a more healthy community, the planning department would have more power over what is put in. I do consider the fact that healthy restaurants may not consider Coppell as a sufficient place to establish restaurants, but it is the community’s job to show our need for wholesome food.

Southlake, which has a population of about 27,425 people – about 13,000 people less than Coppell, has a larger selection of restaurants, which includes many options of healthy restaurants.

Some healthy restaurants include: Pure Health Lounge, My Fit Foods, Snappy Salads and Nekter Juice Bar.

Southlake does have an advantage geographically and financially.

Southlake’s surface area is 22.5 square miles, whereas Coppell’s is only 14.67 square miles. This means Southlake is able to house more restaurants, and develop further than Coppell ever could.

As well as inhabitants average household income in Southlake is greater than Coppell’s by $60,647. Restaurants that are more expensive (healthy restaurants) will prosper because inhabitants are willing to pay more.

One initiative that I commend Coppell for is Living Well in Coppell.

According to its website, Living Well in Coppell is a volunteer-based community initiative, working in cooperation with the City of Coppell, with a focus on providing a healthy community environment for citizens, their families and local businesses.

While this initiative does not have any say in what restaurants come to Coppell, they do focus on physical and nutritional wellness, as well as personal and social wellness. This initiative could be the first step in “health-i-fying” Coppell (well at least giving the city balance).

I know I’m not the only person who feels this way about the excessive amount of fast food restaurants in Coppell. There wouldn’t be five gyms in Coppell if there weren’t other health enthusiasts like me, and even if you’re not a health enthusiast or a so called “gym junkie”, health foods are good for the soul.

So why don’t we take the initiative and ask for more healthy restaurants? The people have the power, and the only way (if not by chance) for a healthy chain restaurant to be considered in the city of Coppell, is if community members say something.