Can American Idol Survive?

Paige Wilson

With American Idol starting their ninth season this Tuesday, it brings many questions.  When season eight of American Idol started, we were introduced to  new judge Kara Dioguardi. She became the fourth judge to join the three musketeers, and she was loved and hated by all. As the season wrapped up, we said goodbye to Paula Abdul, one of the originals.

Now as season nine begins, we see that Ellen DeGeneres, a comedian, is joining the panel of judges. As if that wasn’t enough to take in, we begin the season learning the “meany” Simon Cowell will be leaving at the end of the season. He is leaving to judge the X Factor, a British talent show.

The show will be starting in the Fall of 2011 on FOX. The show launched the career of Leona Lewis, and has become a hit expanding to 17 countries just like American Idol originally did.

The question is, can American Idol survive without two of the original judges? Is this just too much change for America to handle?

To hear more about Cowell’s recent career moves go to:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2010-01-12-cowell_online_ST_N.htm