No more Mr. Nice Spy for “Chuck” fans

By Ashleigh Heaton
Entertainment Editor

Thank the heavens — “Chuck” is coming back on air.

Tomorrow, Jan. 10, the show will kick off its third season with a two-hour season premiere beginning at 9:00/8:00 p.m. central time, followed by a one-hour episode at its regular time on Monday, Jan. 11 at 8:00/7:00 p.m. central. And, may I say, it’s about time.

At the end of season two, the series’ future was in limbo regarding whether or not the show would be back for another season. The story follows the life of Chuck Bartowski (Zachary Levi), a computer nerd who gets mixed up with a flurry of spies and dangerous situations after the government’s secrets are downloaded into his brain through a device known as an intersect. Season two closed at a point where the story could either be extended on or left alone, and with the show’s contract expired, NBC executives were not sure whether or not it was worth it to renew the series.

When fans got wind of this, they revolted. Campaigns of all shapes and form were made to bring the show back, including one that involved sending candy Nerds to the producers at NBC. But the movement that saved the day was the Finale and Footlong Campaign, in which fans bought a footlong sub at Subway — one of the product placement sponsors of the show — and dropped a note in the comment box saying they wanted “Chuck” back on air. Most fans are crediting this event as the reason “Chuck” got a second shot at revival.

As a fan, I think this premiere is great for two reasons: it marks the beginning of a new era in “Chuck” history, as well as an achievement in viewer response. In essence, this premiere is a tribute to the dedication of its fans and all they can accomplish together.

To catch up, you can watch the first two season online, rent the seasons or buy the box sets wherever they are sold. I suggest you do so, because this show is going to be the TV hot topic for months to come.