Passion for journalism found through experiences in D115

Senior Elizabeth Sims is the enterprise editor of The Sidekick newspaper. She will attend the University of Oklahoma in the fall to study journalisms. Photo by Sandy Iyer.

By Elizabeth Sims
Enterprise Editor

Though my four years of high school have been a whirlwind of experiences, assignments and activities, one thing has remained constant: D115, more specifically The Sidekick newspaper’s classroom.

Ironically, I almost did not join The Sidekick staff at all. I came into high school wanting to join KCBY, but applied to be on the yearbook staff for my sophomore year. For one reason or another, I did not want to tap into my writing skills, and I avoided even picking up an application for the newspaper at all costs. I simply was not interested.

Fortunately, my adviser Chase Wofford saw my potential and literally slapped an application on my desk while I was taking my sophomore year advanced reporting class. Though I was reluctant at the time, I will be forever grateful for this push.

I would have missed out on a myriad of memorable experiences if I did not join The Sidekick staff. I would not have found

where my passion lies or have met a fraction of the incredible people I now know.

Through my involvement, I traveled to San Antonio and Boston to attend national high school journalism conventions, where I attended sessions hosted by leaders in the media field and explored the cities to dig up stories that could go untold. I made lasting friendships on these trips and discovered I wanted to pursue journalism as a career.

While the trips are fun and great learning opportunities, my favorite part of working on this publication has been the opportunity to tell stories. I have connected with so many people in the community just by sitting down for a 15 minute interview with them. I have been able to draw attention to certain issues such as sharing the roads with cyclists through coverage of the local Ride of Silence.

I have only been on The Sidekick staff for the last two years, but I have had more challenges thrown at me during that short time than I ever expected in school. All have been for my benefit in the long run, and all were instigated by Wofford. He was never afraid to tell me where I needed to improve a story. He pushed me to apply for an editor position despite the fact I considered myself to be too inexperienced.

Most of all, he was my advocate and stood behind my decisions and story pursuits no matter how odd they seemed. I consider him to be a role model for these reasons, and I hold him up with the utmost respect.

My time on The Sidekick was not always easy, but it was certainly life changing. I will always consider D115 the place my journalism career began.