Cowgirls take down Trinity on the diamond, 7-4

By John Loop
Sports Editor

The Coppell Cowgirls (6-6) didn’t show their youth at all in Tuesday night’s contest against Euless Trinity (6-7), capturing a 7-4 victory over the Lady Trojans.

Senior second baseman Lindsay Stivers and freshman Sami Thomas both knocked two runs each to lead the Cowgirls.

After a Trinity sacrifice fly plated one run for the Trojans, Thomas opened up the Coppell scoring in the second inning. Following a  double by senior outfielder Katy Bryan and a single by freshman Kendel Krusch, she laced a two-bagger of her own in to the gap in left center field to give the Cowgirls a lead they would not relinquish.

Trojans senior Ashley Gordon blasted a homerun over the centerfield wall in the top of the third inning, but that was the only big hit sophomore starting pitcher Lindsay Shaw conceded to the away side. Shaw showed great command and deceptive speed all night.

Stivers later shot a ball into centerfield, plating two more Cowgirl runs. The Cowgirls added another one in the late stages of the game, held off a three-run rally from Trinity, and secured the win.

The Cowgirls will play in their final tournament of the season later this week before District 5-5A play begins in just over two weeks.