New Moon: From a non-Twilight fanatic perspective

By Angela Almeida
Opinions Editor

Truely, I shouldn’t have fallen asleep in parts of New Moon. Might I add that my slumber was not a reflection of the entertainment factor, for the movie definately superseded my expectations, in that sense. However, that is not necessarily a good thing.
I think most of us can agree the “Twilight” phenonmenon falls short of any intellectual substance. Therefore, rather than harp on the obvious, i.e., remedial plot, hackneyed rescue scenes and overtly fake cosco-reminiscent contacts, I’m opting for a more positive route. What did non-Twilight fanatics and/or pessimists (such as myself) enjoy from the newly released New Moon?
1. Werewolf boy, Jacob (Taylor Lautner) and his washboard abs. This observation can be made by more than just the ladies, however, as Lautner’s body shots blazon across the screen for all to marvel at. Literally, if one were to combine Spartacus, a rather cute animated werewolf and some derivative of Michael Phelps, you would get the conception of Jacob. Post haircut, of coarse.
2. Dakota Fanning’s sinister debut as Jane, an evil, budding temptress apart of some Italian secret society of vampires. Never before had I seen our little own I Am Sam’s child star in such a dark light. I loved it. Just one shoot of the word “pain” out of her mouth and I was sold. This girl had me convinced she’s a blood-sucking hoss. From now on, Fanning dear, stay out of the trite Uptown Girl roles, I like you far better when you’re freaking me out as a vampire than an awkwardly placed kid in need of a nanny.
3. The dream sequences. Need I say more?

I’m sorry to say, I can’t leave this blog so noble as to only highlight the enjoyable. Although New Moon was arguably better than the first Twilight film, one must recognize it is essentially just a “cheap thrill”.
So, if you’re looking to be entertained and can laugh at sexual repression, lacking dialogue and acting by most onscreen, what are you waiting for? New Moon is defiantly your hot ticket.

To see movie times for this film visit:

http://www.moviefone.com/

3