State bound: Lovelady’s goal lifts Cowboys past Marcus, 1-0

Drake Lovelady celebrates after scoring the only goal in the Cowboys 1-0 defeat of FM Marcus. Photo by Davis DeLoach

From Staff Reports

Senior midfielder Drake Lovelady’s second half goal gave coach Chad Rakestraw and the Coppell boys soccer team a 1-0 victory over district rival Marcus this afternoon at Birdville ISD Fine Arts/Athletic Complex in the Class 5A Region I final.

The victory sends Coppell (21-2) to the Class 5A State Tournament, the Cowboys first berth in the state tournament since 2006. Alief Elsik, Kingwood and Brownsville Hanna join the Cowboys at the state tournament, which opens Friday at Birkelbach Field in Georgetown.

Soccer notebook: Cowboys can reverse playoff past

Sammy Robben
Sports Editor

As the Coppell Cowboys continue on their road to state tonight they will play the Hebron Hawks, a game that will serve as a way for the Cowboys to prove they are better than years past.

The Cowboys will be looking for revenge tonight as they go up against the Hawks for the third time this year, and the third year in a row in playoffs. For the past two years the Cowboys have been poised to make it to state, but were knocked out in the first round by the Hawks. Remembering the feeling, the Cowboys are determined to not let it happen again.

The Cowboys also went up against the Hawks twice in their district season proving that the Cowboys would be a force to be reckoned with. In their first game the Cowboys beat Hebron with a 2-0 win, and in their second match up the Cowboys defeated them overwhelmingly with a score of 9-2, with one of the hawks goals being scored by a Cowboys defender. For the whole season the cowboys have a 11-2 lead over Hebron.

The game will be played tonight at 7:00 at the Goldsmith stadium in Lewisville. If the Cowboys win this game they will continue on to the regional tournament in Midland, Tx this Friday and Saturday.

Cowboys featured on WFAA sports special

As the top ranked team in the state the Cowboys are doing more then just winning games. Last Sunday, coach Chad Rakestraw and five of his players were featured on the WFAA high school sports special.

Joining Rakestraw were the team captains, seniors Nick Hazelrigg and Drake Lovelady, and juniors Emilio Morlett, Chris Madden and Kellen Reid. These Cowboys talked about the important of team, their motto for this year and as captains what it means to be a servant leader. It was evident that these Cowboys cared just as much about their team and values as they care about winning.