Thanksgiving festivities for all

By Loren Hughes

If you’re hanging around Coppell this Thanksgiving break and feel as if there is nothing to do, you’re in luck. This year, the Dallas/Fort Worth area is hosting numerous Thanksgiving activities sure to entertain people of all ages.

Here are the top five Thanksgiving activities that have received rave reviews in the past:

1. The Turkey Trot Thanksgiving Day Run- This trot is sponsored by the Dallas YMCA and takes place at the Dallas City Hall Plaza. It has been hailed as the largest Thanksgiving day activity in America, and requires a three mile run. Dogs can also be featured in the race.

2. The Gaylord Texan Thanksgiving Brunch- Each year, the Gaylord Texan hosts a Thanksgiving themed brunch which includes omelets and waffles, alongside live entertainment. The brunch is available from from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and reservations are required.

3. The Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving day game- Each year, the Dallas Cowboys play in their traditional Thanksgiving day game. Since the game is at the new Arlington stadium this year, tickets are few and far between, but other packages are still available.

4. Dallas’ Light-up Lee Park Holiday Festival- This event on Nov. 29 in Lee Park is open to the general public as many come together to celebrate the upcoming holiday season. The entire park will be lit up with half a million LED lights, fireworks and live music. It’s free for everyone, and who doesn’t like a fireworks show?

5. Thanks-Giving Square – This attraction in downtown Dallas is open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving day. Guests can take tours through the Chapel of Thanksgiving and the Circle of Thanksgiving, and also includes maps of countries that celebrate the holiday and letters declaring Thanksgiving an official holiday. The site is mainly historical, with a bit of Thanksgiving fun and is super cheap. The tours are one dollar for children and two dollars for adults, but it is free for overall general admission.

Be sure to take advantage of these local celebrations during your break! To learn more about all of these traditional Thanksgiving events, click here.