Oscar Recap 2013: Life of Pi wins big, Argo clutches Best Picture

By Will Thomas

This year’s Academy Awards hosted by Seth MacFarlane aired last night, and there were some big winners. Ang Lee won Best Director for Life of Pi  in a stunning upset against Lincoln‘s Stephen Spielberg. Lincoln  had 12 nominations and only two wins with Daniel Day Lewis for Best Actor and Best Production Design, making it a disappointing night. Lewis is now the first actor to win Best Actor three times. Life of Pi came in with 11 nominations and 4 wins.

The Oscars were surprisingly competitive this year. The top six categories (directing, best picture, and the four acting categories) all went to different movies. Christoph Waltz took home his second Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for Django Unchained. Jennifer Lawrence won her first Oscar for Best Actress for her role in Silver Linings Playbook. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress in a landslide for her role in Les Miserables.

While Ben Affleck and Quentin Tarantino were both snubbed for Best Director nominations, the Academy was somewhat redeemed when Tarantino won Best Original Screenplay for Django Unchained and Affleck’s Argo won Best Picture. Argo also took home Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Film Editing.

In addition, Skyfall  became the first James Bond film to win an Academy Award after receiving Oscars for both Sound Editing (tying with Zero Dark Thirty) and Best Original Song for Adele’s “Skyfall”.

What did you think of the Oscars? Is there an award you think someone else should have won? Leave your answers in the comments below.