“Perks of Being a Wallflower” hits theaters Friday

By Jordan Bickham

This weekend, the beloved book “Perks of Being a Wallflower” finally has its theater-debut with the the film-adaption of the novel hitting theaters this Friday.  The novel was written by Stephen Chbosky and has been a highly acclaimed as well as highly criticized story.

The story follows a freshman named Charlie who talks to a stranger about his year through numerous letters.  Charlie has suffered much in his short life including the suicidal death of his best friend as well as the death of his beloved aunt, so freshman year is definitely something he is not looking forward to.  But after meeting seniors, Patrick and Sam, Charlie gets to finally experience happiness and even discovers himself as he moves from being a wallflower, one who watches life passively, to someone who is an active participant.

With many controversial topics included in the novel, it will be interesting to see how Chbosky, the director of the film adaption, will handle these topics in a PG-13 appropriate movie.  One helpful aspect will be the talented actors that are in the movie such as Logan Lerman who has the role of Charlie, and Emma Watson who is Sam.

While fans of the novel fear the movie will be censored to the point of taking away from the message, the movie is sure to be a hit with Chbosky being the director and with many talented actors.