Dark Shadows debuts in theaters

By Caroline Carter

Under the direction of Tim Burton , Dark Shadows, a gothic, drama film, has begun its showings in theaters. Starring Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer, the film, which is based off of a 1960s soap opera, is sure to have viewers on the edge of their seats.

Barnabas Collins (Depp) resides in the town of Collinsport. After breaking the heart of a witch named Angelique, played by Eva Green, Angelique turns Barnabas into a vampire and buries him alive.  Nearly two centuries later, Barnabas escapes from his tomb only to find his beloved town to be a very different place. He finds that his family members are living in his mansion and are causing problems in the town. Although Barnabas decided to attempt to restore his family name, Angelique learns that he has escaped from his grave and tries to win him back.

Rated PG-13 and running just under two hours, Dark Shadows mixes drama with horror. Though the film has received mixed reviews, the acting, directing and character development has been applauded. The film will show in both standard and IMAX theaters.

1