Coming up in Dallas entertainment

By Ashleigh Heaton
Entertainment Editor

Movies

The Box: Nov. 6

Cameron Diaz and James Marsden deal with a sticky moral issue (there’s an understatement): push the button on a mysterious box and kill thousands of people while getting a buttload of money or…not kill people. The movie looks like it will be a great conspiracy thriller for that delivers drama, suspense and action in an effective balance.

Pirate Radio: Nov. 13

That guy from Doubt (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and 7 other rouge DJs set sail on a boat to play banned rock and roll music. The people are happy, the government is in uprage, the DJs are claiming to be pirates…what more can you ask for?

2012: Nov. 13

Yup, another end-of-the-world movie with John Cusack. Who will survive? Well, by the looks of the entire earth caving in on itself, probably no one.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon: Nov. 20

Gentlemen, get ready for the fan-girly screams. Ear plugs are suggested, but not required.

The Princess and the Frog: Nov. 27

Disney returns to its animation roots with the re-telling of the classic fairy tale by the same name. The art is mind-blowingly rich, detailed and down-right pretty, with a story reminiscent of Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. Promises a bad case of the warm-fuzzies by the time the credits start rolling.

Concerts

AC/DC: Nov. 2 at The American Airlines Center

Back in black, all you classic rock fans.

David Cook: Nov. 8 at The Palladium Ballroom

The American Idol, a.k.a. “Mr. Sensitive”, comes to Dallas at the laid-back concert venue.

Queen Latifah: Nov. 10 at The House of Blues

Did you know she was not only an actress but also a singer? Because I sure didn’t. I must have been living under a rock for the majority of my life.

The Swell Season: Nov. 14 at The Palladium Ballroom

Most people know them from their Oscar-award winning song, “Falling Slowly”, that they performed in the movie Once. For all you laid-back, indie-music fans, this is a concert you don’t want to miss.

Train: Nov. 23 at The Bar of Soap

They’re “back in the atmosphere” for what looks like an excellent concert experience. Plus, they’re performing at the Bar of Soap, a fairly new venue for Dallas residents to explore.

Dashboard Confessional: Nov. 22 at The Palladium Ballroom

I’m sure a few tickets will get “Stolen” so fans can get in this concert. And yes, the bad pun was intended.

The All-American Rejects and Taking Back Sunday: Nov. 29 at The Palladium Ballroom

“Dirty Little Secret” meets “Your Own Disaster”? Yes, please.

Around the school

“Anything Goes”
Oct. 31-Nov. 2 and Nov. 6-8, 7:00 p.m. (Nov. 1, 2:30 p.m.), CHS Auditorium
The theatre department is on a boat in search of love through song, dance and humor in this annual fall musical.

Vivace! Dessert Show
Nov. 20-21, 7:00 p.m., CHS Auditorium
Dessert and show choir: the recipe for one sweet night.

Madrigal Feast
Dec. 4-5, 6:00 p.m., CHS Commons
Renissance has never been so cool.

For more upcoming events around the area, click here.