The Sidekick staff reaches new heights in Seattle

By Michelle Pitcher
Editor-in-Chief

SEATTLE, Wash. – I honestly don’t know what I was thinking when I handed my $20 bill to the man at the kiosk. I don’t know what I was thinking when I got on the elevator to ride 519 feet up to the observation desk. But when I stepped out to see the view from the top of the Space Needle, I know exactly what I was thinking: Seattle is the coldest place on Earth.

I am the opposite of an adrenaline junkie. I would much prefer to hold people’s bags at Six Flags than have to face the Titan myself. Hence why it was a surprise to me and everyone else when I followed the group into the line to buy tickets for the ascent.

I did not do this for the rush; I did it to spite myself. I did it for the experience I am constantly trying to deprive myself of.

There is the old, perhaps over-used expression about how we regret the things we don’t do more than we regret the things we do. Well, maybe the reason this saying is so over-used is because there is a great deal of truth in this philosophy. I did not very well want to sit back and wait by the ticket desk as my friends had perhaps the best adventure to be had in this city. It was about time I had an adventure of my own.

I have come to the point in my story where I feel it necessary to mention my fear of heights. But, surprisingly, this had little to do with my decision-making process. It was not the sheer height of the Needle that was off-putting, it was the feeling of regret I would have if I passed up this great, albeit touristy, opportunity. Putting my acrophobia aside, I looked at the big picture – the 360 degree, panoramic picture of Seattle, to be specific.

As I stepped out onto the observation deck and into the subzero temperatures and biting winds of the Seattle skyline, I had no regrets, save for wearing a dress to the windiest place in Seattle.

Although I would like to take credit for this act, cite it as a personal breakthrough, I honestly would not have taken this chance were it not for the help of my fellow Sidekick staffers. As one of them jokingly reminded me, You Only Live Once.

I am proud to say that I now dabble in risk-taking, at least every now and then. As I learned today from the JEA/NSPA Convention’s keynote speaker Jennifer Sizemore, if you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much room.

Photos by Lauren Ussery