Stewart questions own identity as year draws to a close

Graphic by Brian Hwu
Graphic by Brian Hwu
Graphic by Brian Hwu

By Kelly Stewart

Opinions Editor

College. Huh.

Even the word still seems kind of foreign to me, as I am sure it does to many juniors and seniors. The strange magical event called ‘graduation’ is suddenly here when, years ago, I thought it would never come.

When I was younger, there were many things I thought I would have by this point in my life. I thought I would have a job. I thought I would have won several awards for my beautiful writing and would be well on my way to becoming an accomplished author. I thought I would know who I was. I thought I would know what I wanted to do with my life. I thought things would just make sense.

I hate to burst your bubble, little me, but only one of those things came true.

And while it is nice to have a good paying job, my life definitely did not turn out the way I thought it would.

I know I am not alone in thinking this. When I talk to a lot of my friends, the same topic of conversation comes up: what are we going to do with our lives? Half of us don’t even know.

It’s not even just what I’m going to do as a career, but what am I going to do for a hobby? Will I do basically the same thing I do in my free time that I do now? Will I lose touch with all of my good friends?

Will I be alone?

But, even under all of my uncertainty, there is a little speck of hope. I do still have four years of college. Even though four years go by very fast, maybe that will give me enough time to get together what I need to get together and find out what it is that would best fit me, whoever I am.

Because even whom I think I might be now may be (and probably is) different than who actually emerges through those university doors and heads into the workforce.

But even so, I still wonder: will it be me? It may not be the same person, but will it be me? And will it matter?

Maybe it really is just me who thinks about these things, but I am pretty sure other seniors, not just in this school, but around the country are thinking the same way. We change so much in the four years of high school alone, and we do so much more changing in college when we are finally free of the restraints that we put on ourselves in high school. So I have no idea who I will be then, and I don’t have much idea of who I am now.

And while I think a lot of people feel that way, it’s still really difficult. I mean I should know exactly who Kelly Marie Stewart is. I’m in the best position to know exactly who Kelly Marie Stewart is.

But I just don’t.