Review of I And Love And You

Scott Avett of the Avett Brothers performs at Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina, Saturday 8, 2009 (Jeff Siner/Charlotte Observer/MCT)
Scott Avett of the Avett Brothers performs at Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina, Saturday 8, 2009

By: Maddie Walters

The Avett’s Brothers recently released CD, I And Love And You, has set another precedent in the Brother’s incredibly genre-defying repertoire.

Their combination of folk, rock, punk, pop, bluegrass and country has astounded fans around the globe and their newest album does not disappoint.

Although some fans might find themselves turned off by the band’s decidedly more mainstream approach to their songs, there is something to be said for producing what some critics are calling a “more polished” album.

While personally I find it hard to watch my beloved Brothers waltz into the spotlight, I can’t help but be happy for them. It’s hard to realize that sometimes “indie” bands grow up and into larger audiences. But the fact remains the same – they can still make beautiful music.

I And Love And You, released Sept.29, is chock-full of the same southern rock honesty and smoothness that made you first love the Avett Brothers.

The titular song, I And Love And You, which is subsequently the first track of the album, introduces you to the ballads that only the Avett Brothers can pull off. Their dulcet and heartbreaking harmonizing makes you feel as if you were the one who lost love or had trouble finding your place in the world.

In contrast, the song Kick Drum Heart is an upbeat and lively love song that will make anyone want to tap their feet and sing along.

With it’s mainstream approach but unique Avett Brothers appeal, this album is one that anyone will be glad to add to their music library.

If you’d like to hear samples of their new album or learn more about this North Carolina trio, click here visit their website.