ABC gains comedy cred with Modern Family and The Middle

Usually, when I need a comedy fix, I watch shows on NBC like “The Office” and “30 Rock”. Sometimes I watch “Two and-a-Half Men” and “How I met your Mother” on CBS. I’ll even turn to Comedy Central to improve my mood, but never have I ever watched ABC for its comedy. Well, until now at least.

ABC is now coming out with comedies that I can stand to watch. For example, “The Middle” is about a typical American family. And when I say ‘typical’ I mean relatable. At one point, the main character, Patricia Heaton’s Frankie, tells her kids that they need to eat as a family. They then proceed to bring their food into the living room and watch “Dancing with the Stars” without talking to each other. It was so real I could not stop laughing.

Another great new show on ABC is “Modern Family”. It is also extremely relatable. In the series premiere, Ty Burrell’s character Phil Dunphy tries to be a cool dad when his daughter brings a boy home to ’study’. Hijinx insues and he ends up shooting the boy with an pellet gun. Again, I could not stop myself from laughing.

So I applaud ABC for contributing to my happiness with these amazing new shows and I hope that they don’t get canceled like most of the other comedies the network produces.