Super Bowl XLV first ever played without cheerleaders

By Henna Khan

Business Manager

This years Super Bowl could be one of the first ever to be played without cheerleaders leading the crowd on the sidelines.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers are two of the six teams in the entire National Football League without an official cheerleading squad. For any Cowboys fans attending the Super Bowl, it is going to be quite the experience not seeing their Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders strutting their routines on the field.

In 1988, the Packers got rid of  their  professional cheering squad for reasons not known. Since 2007, the Packers have used collegiate cheerleaders, but only for little entertainment at select home games.

From 1961 to 1969, Pittsburgh had the Steelerettes, all of whom were students from Robert Morris Junior College in Pittsburgh. In the late 1960s, Robert Morris got its own football team, and the Steelerettes went away were no longer cheering for the Steelers.

Who knows what fun a game without cheerleaders is going to be? Good thing the Super Bowl half time show is bound for a series of entertainers.

Jerry Jones has a cheerleaders, but no team with a game on Feb. 6th.