Bye Bye Birdie musical auditions held this week

Ashleigh Heaton
Editor in Chief

Interested in musical theatre? Love to sing, act and dance? You can get a chance to shine in First United Methodist Church of Coppell’s upcoming production of Bye Bye Birdie.

The musical follows Albert Peterson, a down-on-his-luck songwriter whose most famous client, Conrad Birdie, has been drafted into the army. However, Albert’s secretary and girlfriend, Rosie, concocts one final publicly stunt before Birdie leaves for good: Birdie will bestow one last kiss to one average American teenage girl. The girl happens to be Kim MacAfee from Sweet Apple, Ohio, and the arrival of Birdie sends ripples throughout the small town as well as through Kim’s relationship with her boyfriend, Hugo.

Auditions are this Thursday and Friday, December 9 and 10, at 7:00 p.m.; those auditioning need only attend one night. If auditioning for a speaking role, prepare 16 bars of a song that best shows off your singing talent and be prepared to read lines. If auditioning for just chorus, you will be vocalized at the audition and are not responsible for preparing a song. Everyone will be taught a few eight counts of dance to perform. Callbacks will be held this Saturday morning, December 11, at 11 a.m.

Auditions are open to any high schooler in the community, regardless of religious affiliation.

To get a sense of the musical, here’s a clip of one of the popular numbers from the show, “Put On a Happy Face”: