Comic legend Leslie Nielson dies at 84

By Mary Whitfill

Features Editor

Well known actor in hit films “Airplane!” and “Naked Gun”, Leslie Nielson, passed away of pneumonia in Florida on Sunday.

While his starting roles were in science fiction films such as “Forbidden Planet” and “The Poseidon Adventure”, Nielson’s switch to Hollywood comedy is what propelled him to fully fledged stardom. His famous line, “and don’t call me Shirley” is still year across the country as a landmark line from a classic comedic film.

Nielson acted in over 100 movies as well as hundreds of television episodes and whether performing as a serious actor or delivery slap stick comedy with his well known dry sense of humor, Nielson never failed to impress fans and critiques alike. An actor of extremes, it will be hard to find someone with an equal talent and love for what he does, not to mention the fan base that he acquired over the years.

Nielson’s final film, “The Waterman Movie” is currently in limbo. After three years of production, the film is still not finished, but Nielson recorded all of his lines, giving the director of the film a shot at finishing the movies of his dream. The film is expected to be 60 minutes long, but has no estimated release date. The first two minutes of the film can be seen here.

Nielson is survived by two daughters and his funeral arrangements have not yet been made public. Rest in Peace, Leslie Nielson.