• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

An ode to The Sidekick’s seniors: Aliza Abidi

Ava Johnson
The Sidekick executive photography editor expresses her appreciation for the guidance and support given to her by editorial page editor Aliza Abidi. Senior odes is a series of recognition for graduating Sidekick seniors.

“Girl.” 

I can hear Coppell High School senior and The Sidekick editorial page editor Aliza Abidi’s signature response clearly in my head, as I’ve warranted this sarcastic quip on many occasions in D115. Aliza’s dry sense of humor and unwavering ability to put up with my silliness are traits most admirable, and my favorite things about her.

Being in the same period as Aliza this year has been a truly great experience. Aliza has passion like I’ve never seen before and it’s a treat to see her in her element.

She is unapologetically herself. She’s undeniably obsessed with her section and will certainly chase you down for that opinion story. Though it may seem intense, this drive is the quality I admire most about her. In addition to that, she is an exceptionally hard worker, and her intelligence and wit is evident in her writing (once you look past the many spelling errors, of course). 

Now, I could talk about her work ethic all day long, but you can’t write about Aliza without speaking on her character. She is more than anything, a great friend and mentor. When Aliza’s not furiously editing a column, she’s laughing across the room. She constantly supports me and other staff members and will always be the first person to offer a helping hand and guidance. With great advice and comforting reassurance, she’s always been able to help me destress.

I have gotten the pleasure of making countless memories with Aliza over my time on The Sidekick. From covering prom, and losing all of our video footage, to sharing a room at the ILPC Convention in Austin, we never have had a dull moment.

I’m so glad that I met Aliza last year and have been able to get to know what a hilarious and unique person she is.

To Aliza, “tahkn yuo fro erveythang.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews and @kaylagnguyen on X.