Lewisville defeats Coppell after breaking nine-inning standstill

Coppell junior first baseman Joaquin Oaxaca bats in the bottom of the first inning against Lewisville. The Farmers defeated the Cowboys 1-0 at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex on Tuesday. Photo courtesy KCBY-TV.

The stands erupt into shouts and jeers as Lewisville catcher Nate Hancock’s sacrifice bunt in the top of the ninth inning breaks a scoreless tie.

Lewisville defeated Coppell, 1-0, at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex on Tuesday.The Cowboys kept the Farmers scoreless through eight innings behind Coppell senior pitcher Jacob Garcia going eight innings on the mound.

“It comes down to the last inning, the last strike, you have got to keep fighting,” Garcia said.

In early innings, the Cowboys had trouble getting the ball into play. The outfielders for Lewisville were anticipating fly balls making for easy outs.

According to Coppell senior outfielder Nick Williams, Lewisville’s pitches were slower than the Cowboys were used to, leaving Coppell struggling to adjust.

“We just need to learn how to make adjustments in the game,” Williams said.

However, the Cowboys have a shot at redemption as they travel to Lewisville on Friday at 7 p.m.

Follow @SidekickSports on X