Garcia, Cowboys hold on for 2-1 victory in pitcher’s duel

Coppell+junior+first+baseman+Joaquin+Oaxaca+bats+against+Plano+during+the+first+inning+on+Tuesday+at+Coppell+ISD+Baseball%2FSoftball+Complex.+The+Cowboys+defeated+the+Wildcats%2C+2-1.+
Vibha Viswanath
Coppell junior first baseman Joaquin Oaxaca bats against Plano during the first inning on Tuesday at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Cowboys defeated the Wildcats, 2-1.

The Coppell baseball team defeated Plano, 2-1, at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex on Tuesday. The Cowboys move to 6-12-0 overall.

After the Wildcats scored with a RBI triple by Plano senior Peyton Firgens, the Cowboys went into the second inning down 1-0. 

“We always try to be the one to score first and if that is not the case, we try to have a good game plan to come back,” Coppell coach Armando Garza said.

With Coppell senior center fielder Brodie Scott on third and senior courtesy runner Salvador Alonzo on second, an RBI single to center field by senior left fielder Aaron Colby scored Scott to tie the score at 1. Senior shortstop Michael Russell put Coppell up, 2-1, with a sacrifice RBI bunt to score Alonzo from third. 

Coppell senior pitcher Jacob Garcia pitches against Plano during the fourth inning on Tuesday at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Cowboys defeated the Wildcats, 2-1. (Vibha Viswanath)

After early action in the first three innings, each team went back and forth in a pitcher’s duel with Plano recording only one hit over the final four innings. 

Coppell senior pitcher Jake Garcia starred with seven strikeouts and allowing only four hits throughout the game. 

“We played well, all the way through the first to ninth inning,” Garza said. “We played good defense and [Gracia] pitched amazing.”

Coppell’s three hits came from Scott with the double to left field, sophomore second baseman Jackson Floren on an infield single to shortstop and Colby’s single.

Follow Ainsley (@ainsleydwyer) and @CHSCampusNews on X.